The current female Nikolo-Vyazhishchsky monastery is located in the immediate vicinity of Veliky Novgorod. It bears the status of stavropegial, that is, independent of the local diocesan power, subordinate directly to the patriarch or synod. The architectural structures of the monastery are an invaluable cultural monument of Novgorod land. The monastery is famous for the extraordinary variety of tiles that adorn the building of the temple complex.
The Nikolo-Vyazhishchsky monastery was founded in the XIV century by three pious monks Euphrosyne, Ignatius and Galaktion. In a letter dated August 25, 1391, the Vyazhishchsky monastery is mentioned along with Yuryev, Paleostrovsky and Murom. Novgorod chronicles mention the monastery only in 1411.